Welcome to canadaba.ca's message boards

MemberlistMemberlist  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tram flap reconstruction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marilyn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Tram flap reconstruction Reply with quote

Hi to all - well after going through five surgeries trying to do breast reconstruction - it failed !! - it seems my skin from radiation would not heal properly so that procedure is out completely in my case. Needless to say I was very upset & disappointed & to think I went through all of this & I am now back to square one. My Doctor says there is one more option - which he will not do for at least six monthes & that is the tram flap method of breast reconstruction.
If anyone on this site or knows of anyone who has gone through this procedure - please let me know how it went & if they were happy with the results. I know the surgery for this - is very involved & at least six weeks recovery.
It is hard to face up to the fact that all was in vain - but I know that life does go on - but it doesn't take the hurt & frustration away.
Hope I hear from someone,
Marilyn Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
VIC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sorry Marilyn for all you had to face Sad I can't help you but sending you big hugs . Stay strong...hopefully this last procedure will work for you.

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

pre BA :34AA post:34B/small C
300cc overfilled to 325/unders/saline/nipple
BA: 27 July 04 Dr.Levine (40 yrs old)
linda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Marilyn...........I cried when I read your post! Crying or Very sad I'm sorry I didn't read it earlier.

I know there is a possibility of this happening, but you're the first one I know that it actually happend to!

Please help me understand something.....If the implant scar won't heal, what makes your PS think that a tram flap scar will heal? Are they taking it from your tummy or back?

I can't even imagine your frustration or hurt. You're one hellava brave women!

(((((((((((((HUGE HUGS)))))))))))))))))
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Marilyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda - yes - it's been a very hard time for me - but life does go on - but I wish it could have gone on with me getting a new boob Very Happy Very Happy The tram flap - he would take it from my tummy - even though I don't have a lot of fat there - but that is far down the line - & I haven't decided if I want to go through anymore disappointments.
How it would heal any better than the incision with the implant - that is something I don't know -
Don't you have some of your implant showing??? -
Have had no responses to anyone on this site of having a tram flap - wish I could get some more info on all of this
Hope you are doing OK Linda -
Please keep in touch,
Love,
Marilyn
daisy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is sad to hear--I'm so sorry you've been having such a rough go of it.
Many (((((Hugs))))
daisy
________
Montana marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by daisy on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
jmo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know what a trans flap was so I just googled it. I'm sorry you're going through all of that. I wish I could help by providing some knowledge on the subject or some experience. I have neither. I hope sending some positive energy your way will do something. Are you able to use a doner? You had mentioned you don't have a lot of belly fat. Is it possible for the PS to use tissue from another patient's tummy tuck? Just curious
jen
Dr. Brown. Feb. 28 2005
JNathalie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huge (((hugs)))
Shelley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marilyn, I know we have not talked before but when I read your post I just wanted to send you a message.
I am so sorry to hear what you have been through. I can not even imagine. You are a very strong woman! I truly hope you have easier times comming you way soon.
Please know your in my thoughts and I do wish you well.
((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))) to you.
Shelley
34A~36C
Mentor Elite HP Cohesive Silicone Gel
400cc under/crease incision
Dr. Peter Young
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Marilyn, that is such a shame, I feel really sad. I dont think that many reconstruction people come on here so I wonder how we can find some patients who have had this tram procedure, would it help if I emailed my surgeons and asked them? perhaps they can get some of their tram patients on here?

I guess when they take good tissue and skin from another area of your body it is likely to heal better than having your damaged/radiated skin trying to heal over the implant? I also do not know much about it so hopefully we can all learn together. Im very sorry to hear what you've been through, please keep in touch.
mizmo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about your situation

{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} for you. Hopefully some surgeons with reply with other patients who have tried the tram.

Take care.
Linda
Dr. Bush - 355g cohesive gels, over
[img]D:\Cancun0028.png[/img]
linda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Marilyn, If they are taking it from your tummy you will end up getting a tummy tuck at the same time!

However, this is how they do it (roughly).
You will be cut from hip to hip. They remove the fat from your stomach and go under the muscle up to the breast area. The fat MUST STAY INTACT for the blood flow. Without blood flow the tissue (fat) would die. That is why it is pulled intact from the stomach to the breast area. If you want to see pictures of actual tram flap patients and hear their stories go to www.susanlovemd.com
Go to the middle column and scoll way down until you see "Show Me" in bold letters - click on that.
This is a pretty intense surgery. Please do your research!

Love ya
Linda

Dr. Bendago
linda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More informtion............

Under the same web site www.susanlovemd.com just above "Show Me" is A LOT of information on reconstruciton and how it is done. click on the Flap Reconstruction and they describe it and show pictures!

This should give you a really good idea!

Dr. Bendago
Skye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marilyn,

So sorry to hear this happening to you. I've been reading your posts and think you're one of the bravest strongest women I've ever "read" about. I wish you all the best and hope and pray this procedure works out for you in the end. Smile
315g x-tra full projection cohesive overs
BA 05/18/04, Dr. Lista
Scheduled for revision surgery on right breast for cc
2nd BA 02/13/13
Put a replacement 310g Natrelle smooth implant on right side
Marilyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all who responded to my messages -
Linda - I would have gotten back to you & others - but I did not receive any messages back in my mail box - (wonder why??)I have looked at the info you sent me Linda - some of them look amazing - I know my Doctor has told me if there isn't enough fat they call also do an implant as well.
Thanks again for sending the sites Linda - How are you doing??
Will keep in touch with all -
I go on a cruise at the end of October - was so hoping to have a new boob- but alas I have to wear a dummy (Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Crying or Very sad
Marilyn Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
linda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help! Where ya crusin?????

Dr. Bendago
Marilyn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi once again Linda
We go to San Diego for a couple of days & then board the ship to Hawaii!!
Really looking forward to this holiday - what with all the stuff I've been through.
Please keep in touch -
Are you still going to Dr. Rice for Botox???
Love & hugs,
Marilyn
BernieV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: So sorry Reply with quote

Hi Marilyn:

I am so sorry to hear of your disappoinment. I am wondering if you decided to go ahead with the tram flap surgery. How are things going for you now?
BernieV
Marilyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To BernieV
I haven't been on this site for so long - & was very surprised when I got your message. In answer to your question - I did not go ahead with the tram flap - My surgeon advised me that I had been through enough & I had to accept what the outcome of trying to do breast reconstruction was for me
I was very disappoionted - but life goes on & I am going to have a custom prosthesis made. I start this Wednesday (it's very expensive) which really ticks me off - because all women who go through mastectomies should be able to have this service with the government paying for it.
I will let everyone know how it turns out - it's a long process as they do a mold of your entire chest so that they can duplicate the boob you have & give you one that's matches perfectly.
I know it's not the real thing but It's the next best thing (I sincerely hope so)
Thanks for your message & interest,
Marilyn Very Happy Very Happy
BernieV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Custom made prosthesis Reply with quote

Hi Marilyn:

I met someone who had the custom made prosthesis. She is very happy with it and has no desire for reconstruction. I looked into it myself, however, as you know it is costly. It would cost OHIP less money to cover the custom-made prosthesis rather than the breast reconstruction surgery. I read that only 10% of women go ahead with breast reconstruction.

I don't know if you work or have benefits from work. The women that I met who had the custom-made prosthesis was somehow able to have it covered or partially covered by here health benefits at work. I think her surgeon wrote a letter stating this was the only option for her. Anyhow I will pass this information on to you.

I look forward to hearing your results with the custom-made prosthesis.

BernieV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: