Welcome to canadaba.ca's message boards

MemberlistMemberlist  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Breast Reconstruction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leelee2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Breast Reconstruction Reply with quote

Would like to share experiences with anyone who has gone thru reconstruction (expander and implant), or is currently going thru it, as I am.
linda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leelee2,

I had reconstruction done approx. 4 years ago. I got a cohesive implant on the left side. My surgery went very well and I'm glad I did it. When I wear a bra or a certain type of bathing suit you barely tell the difference, however it is smaller, higher, and of course still scarred so you have to weigh out the pro's and con's.
A lot of women think they will look like before but it's just not realistic. Radiation and scars don't allow for the "natural" look at all. It just means that you don't have to pad your bras and be afraid of them falling out or being uncomfortable in the heat, etc.

But as I said before, I'm glad I did it. I can wear certain dresses and feel sexy again.

I'm sure Marilyn will post as well. I'm really sad to say it didn't work out for her - but she can tell you her story, it's also posted in previous threads.

I know of quite a few other women that have had this procedure and it's gone well. What type of procedure are you considering having? An implant, trans flap????

Let me know if you have any more questions

I know how hard this is

(((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Linda
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
honeycakes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month's Cosmopolitan had a 2-page issue on a girl getting both breasts removed because in her family, everyone had had several types of Cancer - and they were carrying a gene that determined how high your chances were. I think her mom also got implants and the girl got implants after 4 months. She tells everything in detail.

The issue may no longer be out - if it isn't, maybe I can scan it ?
linda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Honeycakes,

thanks for the information but if I believe correctly these women did not undergo radiation. Radiated skin is changed forever. It does not act or react like "normal" skin. Often it does not heal properly, sometimes it doesn't heal at all. I have a small section where the Z-Plasty scar did not completely heal together. The skin is soooooooo thin that you can actually see the implant. Not to scare the heck out of anyone - it is only about this long:
__

Not a big deal to me or my b/f.

Leelee2 - where are you in your process?????

Dr. Bendago
linda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is more information on radiated skin that I had posted on another thread.................

Q I had a lumpectomy about 5 years ago followed with radiation and chemo. I did great and have not had any reocurrences. I now want to have a breast lift (mastoplexy) and the plastic surgeon I went to said he could not do a breast lift on a radiated breast because it may not heal after the surgery and their could be complications? I had standard radiation done to the breast and I am a very healthy 42 year old white female. I am really bummed out and would like a second opinion.
Leslie, Melbourne, Florida 4/13/04

A Leslie, If the skin of the radiated breast shows no overt radiation effect from your previous treatment, I believe it is possible to perform surgery to lift the breast. The reluctance by your consulting plastic surgeon is quite understandable. Radiation permanently affects the condition of the small vessels in that tissue, even if it overtly appears normal. This affects healing. In performing a mastopexy, significant tension will be placed across the incisions after the excess skin is removed and the wounds are closed in order to lift the breast. Wound healing may be very slow or the incisions could separate resulting in open wounds that take considerable time to heal. You should understand, therefore, that should you undergo this procedure, delayed and prolonged healing and excess scar formation could result as a consequence of your previous radiation. You should consider carefully if you are willing to accept added risks for a better breast shape.
Howard L. Rosenberg

Dr. Bendago
BernieV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: expander and implants Reply with quote

Hi Leelee

Where are you in the process? How is it going for you?

I just had the expander placed in May 2007. I receive my first fill up this week.

BernieV
honeycakes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linda wrote:
Hi Honeycakes,

thanks for the information but if I believe correctly these women did not undergo radiation. Radiated skin is changed forever. It does not act or react like "normal" skin. Often it does not heal properly, sometimes it doesn't heal at all. I have a small section where the Z-Plasty scar did not completely heal together. The skin is soooooooo thin that you can actually see the implant. Not to scare the heck out of anyone - it is only about this long:
__

Not a big deal to me or my b/f.

Leelee2 - where are you in your process?????

Linda, thank you for the information. I was just pointing this out to the poster as she didn't specify that she wanted to know about radiation also - I do believe I mentionned in my message that these girls knew they carried the gene and had tried to prevent it by getting their breasts removed before they had cancer?

I'm sorry if my message was not clear Smile
linda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Honeycakes

I get so little time to jump in and look at messages!

sorry if I misunderstood your good intentions. You are right, she did not mention having radiation.

I need to s - l - o - w down Very Happy

Dr. Bendago
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: