Welcome to canadaba.ca's message boards

MemberlistMemberlist  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

reconstruction surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jransome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: reconstruction surgery Reply with quote

I had my left breast removed last July due to cancer. I have now decided that I would like to have reconstruction done because I do not like wearing the prothestics (sp?). But I can not convince my husband about getting it done. He can not see the need in having it done. I have tried to make him understand but am having a hard time doing so... any ideas? Question
JNathalie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try sending Linda a PM. She "the" person to talk to about reconstructive surgery on this site and we love her dearly. You can do a search for her on this section and send her a PM.
linda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - it's Linda - still around and kicking - Laughing

Thanks for passing the message along Nat.

JRansome, I PM you back. Hope it helps some?

You can post on here and I'll keep checking in. Alot of our "conversions" can really help other women going through the same thing.

((((((((hugs)))))))))))
Linda
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
BernieV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: your husband's concerns Reply with quote

Dear Jransome

Your husband is likely concerned about you going through more pain and distress. My husband was concerned when I first started thinking about reconstruction. I had the right mastectomy in May 2004 and I had a very long wait for reconstruction. I just had the surgery for the tissue expander in May 2007. This week I will receive the first fill up. The implant is scheduled for Feb 2008.

I kept telling my husband how heavy the prosthesis is and how it is difficult to buy clothes. I told him it would be better for my self-esteem. Initially, I told my husband that I would like to research the process and book some appointments with breast reconstruction surgeons for assessments as part of the process. I had a long wait for reconstruction. By the time the appointment came, he was OK with my decision.

Best thing you can do is communicate your feelings to your husband. I hope you will be able to help him see the benefits.

BernieV
linda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're clearly very lucky that your husband thinks you're just as beautiful as before (which you are!)

I would do what Bernie did. Start the process now because it takes a long time and involve your husband. When he hears what the doctors have to say he may change your mind.

You must realize that your husband saw you go through a lot. Any surgery runs risks and obviously he is afraid of that. Can't say that I blame him. We all have to be aware of and weigh the risks vs any possible benefit.

Take Care
Linda
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: