Welcome to canadaba.ca's message boards

MemberlistMemberlist  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terri1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Looking for support Reply with quote

Hi, I'm fairly new to this site and have been looking at the general discussion group posts and the reconstruction posts. I'm wondering from other women who have been through this how you face the additional surgeries. I had a lumpectomy last March and mastectomy in April. My splint surgery is in Feb and final in June.

I'm trying to keep my eye on the "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow"--being (hopefully) a good result from the surgery but it is hard.

Are there any survivors out there who have been through the reconstruction process with the implant and are really happy with the results (say 2+ years or more)? I have decided to pay for part of the surgery and am augmenting as well as reconstructing and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this. My surgeon says he can make (the mastectomy) a "non-issue" for me but I'm scared to have my hopes dashed.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone who elected to augment as well as reconstruct had issues with trying to keep things concealed during the splint process as I'm assuming that things will be uneven there for awhile.

Also, was the splint/reconstruction process painful? I'm intending to take a week off work each time but otherwise plan to work (office work).

Also, is anyone familiar with Dr. Pugash in White Rock, BC?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
linda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Canduycane, I'm glad you found this site. Actually I've havent' been on for a very long time and just decided to check in - I'm so glad I did!

First off - congratulations on being a survivor!!!!! I'm a four year survivor.

I had a two lumpectomies leaving me with just a partial breast. You can see my photo's in my earlier post "Linda's Story". I had it done obout a year and a half ago. I also had augumentation done on the other breast. I did not have to pay a single penny. If your doctor is willing to do the paperwork, and you have time (it's takes over a month for approval), you can get both breast done for free. A lot of doctor's do not want to take the time to fill out all the paperwork involved - and there's a lot - plus, they don't make as much money if the government pays. However the goverment WILL pay!

I'm glad I had it done. Do they look the same? No and they don't feel the same. It's like one is completely natural but the reconstructed side is harder, scar tissue holds it tight, and I can always "feel" it. Now that said, would I do it again...........in a HEARTBEAT!!!! I can wear a normal bathing suit, killer evening dresses, or just normal tops and not have to worry. I can't go without a bra because of the asymetical difference, but hey - I'm not 19 either! I should be wearing a bra - LOL.

One thing you mentioned was a splint. I am not familiar with that term. Usually if a women had a complete mastectomy they will insert a deflated
implant and slowly over time fill it up with saline to stretch the tissue. Is this what your referring to?

As far as healing time goes, we're all different. I took two weeks off, but I'm also all alone with a teenage son (who doesn't know how to help) so I didn't get to relax as much.

Please drop me a line if you have any questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

((((((((((((huge hugs to you))))))))))))))))))))
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi candycane1!
I am so glad you found this site, I see the lovely Linda has already posted, personally I dont know much about bc reconstruction so would like to learn through you guys so I can help others that come on.
I have heard of Dr Pugash yes, we have quite a few ladies in BC on here but none of his patients yet, how did you find him?
Lunachix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Candycane!
Just want to Welcome you to the most informed, supportive site you could ever have hoped to find!
Take care,
Lunachix
saline, unders, areola
Dr.Perron, Calgary, AB
Aug/03
Shellm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, Glad to see that you have found the best "Boob" site on the web!! Very Happy I don't know a lot about reconstruction but I am sure that there are some girls that can help you find answers to your questions.
Cheers,
Shelley
DR. EDELSTEIN- April 29, 2005 ~ almost 4 YEARS POST!!Smile
325g round smooth cohesive gels/under/crease
terri1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for their warm welcome!

I am learning a lot from this site already.

Linda: I'm still learning how to use these forums and I accidently send a reply to MYSELF! Embarassed

Anyway, here is what I wrote:

"Thanks. I did read your story and reading it helps me to have the courage to continue with the reconstruction. Having been through a lumpectomy and mastectomy, it is really hard to feel that a surgery (reconstruction) can be a positive, good thing because I associate surgery with only bad things.

Interestingly my surgeon did not mention that the government would cover the other side. I was told I had to pay $4100.00 for the augment side. I will definately ask him this at my next meeting with him on Jan 17th.

Yes, a splint is the same thing as a deflated implant. I'm not sure why they call it a "splint".

Thanks for your support and hugs to you also. BTW-you look fabulous, I hope I have such good results."

To everyone else. Thanks so much for the warm welcome. Hugs to you all! Very Happy
JNat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard. I am also a BC/lowermainlander.

I hope that you find a great surgeon that will help you out. I am not too familiar with this surgeon. ((hugs))
CohGel|Over|Crease|375G

June 10/03|Dr Ward, Surrey
#4 in the silicone gallery
TT/Lipo: Nov 22/05
NEW **YAHOO** Group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/JNathalie
(PLEASE submit your CanadaBA username when applying)
*I am still updating the new group*
sue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. Best of luck to you. Your positive attitude is so inspiring. Very Happy
Smooth Round Silicone
Styles 15 & 10/Over/Areola
Right 339cc / Left 150cc
My progression: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/suesba/
sunset78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey candycane. Welcome to the site. The ladies here are great and will try to help out when they can.
Correction of bottoming out and nipple relocation - Jan. 17/03
Scar revision - May 12/05
PS: Dr. Leif Sigurdson located in the QEII
Carrie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site! I know you will find a lot of support here. I have not been on in a long while myself but I am also from BC and I find no matter how oftern (or not) I show up on the boards, I always find a warm welcome. Good luck on your research. Very Happy
BA July 18, 2003
Pre BA 34AAA/Post BA 34 B
greeneyes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome candycane!

Linda has you covered and is a great source of knowledge and support Smile I'm sure she won't mind me encouraging you to lean on her if need be.

Smile
BA January, 2004
Dr. Julie Khanna
460g round/cohesive gel/HPs/overs/areola
Mare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to welcome you here - you're going to love it! It's wonderful that you've been able to 'hook up' with Linda here, she's a wealth of knowledge and so upbeat and positive to boot!!

Let us know how the journey continues..,

Mare
PreBA-34-36 A
Nov.15/04,Dr. Khanna
290MX cohesives/overs/areolar
terri1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks Everyone Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and making me feel a part of this group. Smile
shady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Candy cane ( I just pm'd ( private messaged) you! I dont know if you read my info but I had to have a mastectomy last march for bc on my right side I was told that my risk of gettting cancer in the left side was higher as I had already had it in the right so I opted for a bilateral mast. so I didnt have a time bomb on my chest. ( my bc was caught very early but not a lump so I had to go the mastectomy route.) Anyway I got both sides done and reconstructed under ohip...... I am in the process of redoing and so not usre about that but I think you should persue the option of having it paid. Good luck Pm me if you want to talk. Lynn
linda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Candycane!

Aren't these the best ladies on site - anywhere!!!!

$4100. for a one-sided breast augumentation sounds very high to me. Are there other PS's you could consult with????

I must really emphasis to do your homework to find the right PS.

What size are you now? A, B, C?????

Your age will pay into how the outcome is as well. If you're older (like me Laughing ) the reconstructed side will sag without a lift. I didn't want a lift because of all the additional scarring. Yeesh, having one breast scarred is enough let alone two!

But as I said before, I don't walk around without a bra so you can't see the difference, with a bra - oooo wheeeee - I'm lookin good.

In my pic it looks like HUGE cleavage on one side only - that's because my b/f was hugging me so much and it was just an odd camera shot.

Again, go on lot's of consults. If you get your family doctor to give you a referral you don't have to pay for consults (check with each physician first).

Please keep in touch Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Dr. Bendago
terri1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Hi Linda Reply with quote

Great to hear from you again. I am willing to pay the $4100.00 because I don't want to wait anymore. Having the lumpectomy was one thing--but having no breast is quite another. I'm a fun loving, active, no nonsense kind of girl and I hate having to stuff the equivalent of a "sock" in my bra every day Rolling Eyes On occasion I have even misplaced the stupid thing and ran around looking in drawers, under the bed, the pile of clothes on my dresser etc. When people bitch about their day, sometimes I tell them (close friends only of course) that a bad day is when you can't find your boob! Wink

Anyway, my cup size is small-A cup, sometimes a B and it is always something I've thought about. I'm pretty fit and it has always annoyed me a little that there were girls with boobs that were out of shape that looked better than me in shape (if you know what I mean) because, I don't know, having a bit up there is forgiving-- if say you have a little around the tummy or something. Know what I mean? Anyway, I'm a lemons into lemonade kind of girl (it sounds like you are too) and I decided that the best thing to do, the thing that would make me come out of this as happy as I could possibly be, would be to augment as well as reconstruct. In any case, from what I've seen, those ladies who only do one side look a little mismatched and the results appear better if both sides are done.

Anyway, I'm rambling. What was the question? Laughing
linda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - you do have a good sense of humour Laughing

I got both sides done for exactly the same reason, but there will still be a difference no matter what. Go into your surgery knowing this and accepting this.

Regardless, having a moderate difference without having to "find your boob" Laughing (that cracked me up) is so worth it.

I only ( Rolling Eyes ) lost half my breast - the outer half on the left side, and I had a lumpdectomy the size of a silver dollar on the inner side of the same breast. It was pretty weird looking as you can see from my photo's.
I too always had to pad my bra.

If paying the $4,100.00 gives you total piece of mind then it's worth every penny! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I only wanted to give you a heads up that many times you can get both done paid for by OHIP.

You're incredibily positive and I'm so proud that you survived "the beast". Chock another one up for the good guys!

Please keep in touch --------- do you have an actual date yet?

Dr. Bendago
goldilocks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: b/c reconstuction Reply with quote

Hi there, I am in BC and know of two surgeons. Firstly Dr Peter Lennox on West Broadway. I have had dealings with him and he is a wonderful man and surgeon. He also heads up a dept at UBC and writes for the cancer leaflet Breast In The West, all the latest cancer news and surgeries. Also my girlfriend is a survivor as well and her surgeon was Dr Nancy Van Laeken. really liked her, had to have two surgeries because the implant was saline and wasn't right for her, she had c/c. Also she didn't pay for an augmentation for her other side either. She had a"sizer" to stretch the skin, to accomodate the implants. she chose to go up a couple of sizes B to a D. Anyways hope that helps you and please don't rush, do your homework thoroughly. Best wishes, hope this helps.
linda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candycane ----------Where are You??????

Please let us know how you are doing

Dr. Bendago
terri1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: 2 More Days Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Two days till my first surgery. It's funny, I'm less apprehensive this week then last week. I guess I've steeled myself up a bit. I just try to keep thinking positive--that this is a positive step. I'll let you guys know how I am after surgery.

No one has talked to me about when I can start exercising after surgery, although based on what's on this forum it seems that 6-8 weeks is the usual. I'm not sure if it's different for expanders than for implants. I have been working really hard to get fit and just ran 6K with my husband this past week so I've been feeling really good about my fitness and everything and I would really hate to lose that. I'm not one of those people who can start where they left off if I haven't exercised for awhile.

Otherwise things are great! We've been planning our trip to Vegas in May so I have something to look forward to. It our 15th wedding anniversary and our friend's birthday and we have a bunch of other people who have expressed an interest in going. I've never been--so it will be pretty cool. Cirque de solei (don't know if I spelled that right) is definately on the list.

Anyway, thanks Linda and everyone for your support. Let me know how you are all doing as well.
Marilyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Terri1
Just want you to know I will be thinking of you tomorrow & hope all goes well.
Love,
Marilyn Smile
laurak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terri1. I will be thinking of you. Let us know how you are doing as soon as you are up to it.
Saline unders, 400 & 420 (34DD)
Mini tummy tuck
Sugery date 24 March 2005
Dr. Benchetrit
linda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurak - Candycane (Terri1) progress is posted under the thread "Is it common to wait................) I know it's a really looooooong thread. Maybe we can convince Terri to start a new one about her progress. Very Happy

Hey Terri - my friend, do you feel up to starting a new post?????

I keep coming on looking for you to see how you are.

Dr. Bendago
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: