Welcome to canadaba.ca's message boards

MemberlistMemberlist  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
 

implants after lumpectomy?!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Vicki



Joined: 18 Jan 2005
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: implants after lumpectomy?! Reply with quote

Hi there ladies!
I'm new to this site. I had a lumpectomy in July '03. I would love to get implants. I am very small chested. The scar is at 12 o'clock over my right breast. It's faded a lot now. It doesn't look that bad, it just made my breast a tad higher that my left one (you wouldn't notice unless you saw me in a wet T-shirt !)hee hee. 17 years ago my breasts never came back after breastfeeding my son.
Anyway, for cosmetic reasons, I'd like to have some breasts so I can lose the padded bras and just look more proportional and feel good! But I read somewhere that the scar tissue could cause problems because I had radiation for 21 days.
If anyone can address this issue, I'd be grateful.

Vicki[/b]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
moderator9
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Vicki!

You have definitely come to the right place for information and support. I will send linda a quick note about your post here - she's a wealth of information!

Have you consulted with any surgeons yet? Please take a look at our surgeon recommendation section! Smile

I will send linda a note now Smile
Back to top
Vicki



Joined: 18 Jan 2005
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Moderator.

Vicki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
linda



Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 641
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Lumpdectomy Answers I hope! Reply with quote

Hi Vicki! (and thank you Moderator9)

Welcome aboard, I sure hope I can be of some help. You can definitely get implants after a lumpdectomy and radiation. I had both (including chemo), and my radiation went on for 30 days.

I've had one PS tell me that I'd have an 80% chance of contracting CC (it's a hardening around the implant) due to radiation, other's told me there would be 20% chance. I've had my implants for over a year - and NO problem!. Very Happy

You said you have a scar at about 12:00 (?) Do you have an indentation?
On this discussion board there is a thread on "My Story". At the end are several photo's of before and after. I'm also number 38 in the photo gallery. An implant won't fill out indentation entirely, but it will help. I used to be a small B, now I'm a nice C.

I had cancer in the year 2000, and had my implants in 2003, usually the sooner you do this the better. Scar tissue is always a problem, it doesn't "stretch" very much, so you could have a line with the implant puffy on both sides.

BTW: OHIP will pay for reconstruction, but you have to find a doctor willing to take the time to fill out all the paperwork (and be paid less money by the governement)! But make sure he/she is a GOOD SURGEON! You'll have to go on lot's of consults, if you get a doctor's note the PS will ususally dismiss the consultation fees.

I hope some of this help.

(((((((((huge hugs))))))))))))
_________________
Linda
5'3" 122 lbs
BC Reconstruction Surgery
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003



Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Vicki



Joined: 18 Jan 2005
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Linda very much!
To answer your question, I really don't have any indentation. It's a scar tha's pinkish now but more above what little I have. I think the implants are inserted from the bottom(?) which, I think would be an advantage for me. I can't go in from the armpit because I have another scar there from the 14 nodes I had removed with little hard tissue there.
Wow, so 1 doc told you 80% chance and another doc said 20%. That's a big discrepancy!
Another question I have is about detection. Do you still go for yearly mammograms, and if so is everything seen just as clear as before you had implants? If not, what screening do you receive?
Thanks again Linda. It's nice to talk to someone who'd had this procedure done under the same circumstances as myslef.

Vicki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
linda



Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 641
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicki,

I know about not being able to have an under arm incision - I too had my lymph nodes removed (I think about 16). Do you know if they are going under the muscle? When there is very little or basically no breast tissue the implant will ripple more when placed over the muscle. My implants are overs but I had some tissue he could work with. Also, I personally would recommend the cohesive gels as they tend not to ripple as much.

As far a mammograms go, yes, I have to go every year. Although they have new technology, and a "method" of taking the pictures (they literally push the implant back and pull the skin and breast tissue forward) - the picture is NOT as clear. Even with that said, I'm quite confident in the screening process.

It's a tough personal decision. Sometimes my "lefty" bothers me. I wish it was as soft and as natural looking as the strictly breast augmentation with righty. But it's not, and it never will be, but it's a H*LL of a lot better than what I had before!!!!!!!

Please talk to me - ask questions - ANYTIME, other women reading our threads may be considering the same thing - and together we can help others.

I'm so very proud to you Vicki, you are an amazing women Very Happy
_________________
Linda
5'3" 122 lbs
BC Reconstruction Surgery
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003



Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Vicki



Joined: 18 Jan 2005
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do have a decision to make. I have set up an app't with a PS in Feb.. I'm still not sure about going through with this. I really really want breast implants. To be honest, it's now more than the years before that it bothers me. Everywhere I look, on TV., around the community,magazines (local ones too), breast implants are being done. Why shouldn't I have some breasts. It would make me feel sexier and more proportionate. Look better in my dresses and bathing suit with real boobs!It's just this bc issue. I can just imagine what my general surgeon and my oncologist will think! Rolling Eyes I still see them every 6 months. I wonder if they think I'm pushing my luck?! It hasn't even been 2 years yet.As I told you, my scar is not that bad. This is really for me. I just figure, heck life is too short, go and get them in and stop thinking about it! I know my husband would like it!. Oops, rambling now....
I guess the first step is asking the PS what my chances are that the radiated scar tissue will create problems, seeing I have such small breasts. I'll certainly let you know Linda.
Thank you so much.

Vicki Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin


Joined: 12 Sep 2002
Posts: 9334
Location: Toronto, Ontario

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicki you more so than anyone should get breasts if you want....you have been through so much, so why not do something for you. Your general surgeon/oncologist should not judge you at all (plus Im sure they have a lot of women asking about this), just advise you if they think its ok or not.

All of us as women have the right to feel feminine and sexy if we want to. Filling out bras and tops is so amazing after surgery, all the girls on here feel that way. I wish you all the luck in the world, and if its meant to be you get yourself some breasts as you so cutely put it!
_________________
PLEASE MENTION CANADABA.CA WHEN ON CONSULTATIONS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Vicki



Joined: 18 Jan 2005
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you, thank you. I know I shouldn't worry about what they will think.
I'll certaily let you know after speaking with the PS.


Vicki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
linda



Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 641
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the moderator!

Actually a lot of PS's ASK at the time of surgery if you want reconstruction.

Life is too short - enjoy it now, if the bc beast comes back, we'll fight it again! My b/f loves the way I look, he often says "I'm the sexiest women in the room" - gotta love him for that. But I didn't do it for him, I wanted to FEEL like the sexiest women in the room. Very Happy

Knowledge is power. Don't be afraid to ask lot's of questions when your on your consult and you SHOULD mention it to your oncologist and general surgeon- they too can give you insight!
_________________
Linda
5'3" 122 lbs
BC Reconstruction Surgery
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003



Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Vicki



Joined: 18 Jan 2005
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Linda. I'll let you know the outcome of my visit.

Vicki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group