Welcome to canadaba.ca's message boards

MemberlistMemberlist  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Healing after breast reconstruction??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marilyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Healing after breast reconstruction?? Reply with quote

Hi to everyone - I'ts me again (Marilyn) & I just want to know if anyone else has had the problem of the incision coming together & healing. I had my surgery on Dec. 21st & I'm still having problems with the incision closing. My surgeon has restitched the incision once & I go back this Monday to have the stitches removed - but after looking at the incision - I don't think it has come together yet !!!
I'm a bit discouraged by this - but no doubt my Doctor will reassure me on Monday - seems my skin was so thin - this maybe the reason.

Sure would love to hear if anyone of you had this problem. It would help me a lot not to be so worried.
Thanks to all
Marilyn Sad Sad Sad
linda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Marilyn, I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I don't see how having thin skin would be the culprit.

I've never heard of this problem, please keep me up to date. I'm going to try and research it a bit more.

Actually, I know a woman who had the exact reconstruction with the same Doctor. I'm going to check how she's making out.
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Marilyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda - nice to hear from you - I was worried as you didn't seem to be around.
Just ordered your double strand pin - have to do my bit to raise money for this horendous disease we women go through.
If you find any info regarding my problem - I would really appreciate you sending it to me. I should'nt be so uptight - as I see Dr. Rice on Monday - & I do have so much confidence in him.
Hugs as always,
Marilyn Smile Smile Smile
sunset78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about the incisions. **soft hugs** Hope the doc will be able to get it fixed soon.
Correction of bottoming out and nipple relocation - Jan. 17/03
Scar revision - May 12/05
PS: Dr. Leif Sigurdson located in the QEII
VIC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on Monday,Marylin Laughing Hope all goes well for you.

pre BA :34AA post:34B/small C
300cc overfilled to 325/unders/saline/nipple
BA: 27 July 04 Dr.Levine (40 yrs old)
linda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Marilyn, I just figured out it's YOU trying to order the one pin!
I sent you additional instructions.

However, I'm more concerned in what Dr. Rice said about your incision.
Is the scar starting to heal more?

Please let me know how you are doing.

Linda

Dr. Bendago
Marilyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all -
Well - the news is not good for me - I have to go through another surgery & replace the implant - seems my skin is not healing very well at all.
I am so upset & frustrated by this news - I could scream - but a lot of good that would do me Sad He may also have to put in a smaller size - which really upsets me - as I will be lopsided to say the least.
Sorry gals for ranting on like this - I just wish it was all over with.
Talk to you soon,
Marilyn Evil or Very Mad
P.S. Linda - I received the pin this morning - it's really beautiful - I will wear it often - thank you
linda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Oh sweetie, what devastating news Crying or Very sad for you. After the huge build-up to finally getting the implant and then you have to go through it again.
Reconstruction does run it's risks, much higher than the "norm". I don't think I'm going to go through with my re-do. My breast received 30 radiation treatments and radiation makes the tissue like cardboard. As long as I'm wearing a bra I look good. I don't think I could ever handle inserting a prosthesis everyday so this works for me.

Did Dr. Rice say why the skin isn't healing? Is it dead scar tissue? I wouldn't worry too much about being lopsided. Symmetry is a rare word in the world of reconstruction.

When is the next surgery? I hope to hear from you soon

Your friend
Linda

PS: I'm really glad you liked the pin

Dr. Bendago
Marilyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Linda - Have been out all day today - visiting my daughter & my grandkids - have to get my mind off of what lies ahead.
Dr. Rice feels the five weeks of radiation did make my skin paper thin - & that is the reason why this is not responding to healing very well.
I see Dr. Rice again this Thursday & will ask more questions - I was so dumbfounded with the news last week - I said very little -
I think you are wise to forgo another implant operation - but of course that is your decision & what every makes you feel better - is what is important.
I really hope I will not have to wait long for the surgery - but again it has to go through the government approval - so how long that will take is anybody's guess.
Thanks again for your support - you are a real strength to all of us on this site & I for one really appreciate your understanding & concern.
Take care dear friend & I will keep you posted as to what happens next.
Till then -
Hugs all around,
Marilyn Sad Sad Sad
linda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Marilyn,

((((((( huge big hugs for you)))))))

It's a set back, but it will be ok, I'm sure of it. Actually after my Z-Plasty there is one tiny part that didn't heal properly, in fact, the skin is so thin you can see the implant. It's extremely small but it just looks like part of the scar. Radiation plays havic on the tissues.

If you don't mind me asking how long is the scar and where is it? How much of it isn't closing, is it an actual wound that is open? I'm trying to research it for you.

Your friend
Linda

Dr. Bendago
Marilyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda -
I have tried to research it also - it's where the original scar was after the mastectomy - the opening is about an inch - & is darker in colour - I only wish that he could just sew me up again - but maybe he thinks the implant has been compromised (who knows???) It would certainly make it easier all around -
I can't believe that your implant is showing through your skin !!!!!!!!!!
My daughter is coming with me on Thursday - she said four ears are better than two. I feel a bit silly having her come with me - but she insists - so that's that.
If you manage to find anything out about this situation - please get back to me - you have my home email address. I would so appreciate any info I can find.
Thanks again for your concern.
Love - Marilyn Sad
linda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marilyn, I found a plastic surgery website and the below question was asked and answered by a Dr. Howard Rosenburg. Although it is not exactly the procedure you had done - it does talk about radiated skin and the healing process or lack of. Anyway, hope it helps a bit. By the way, I think having your daughter go with you is a GREAT idea!
Linda

Q I had a lumpectomy about 5 years ago followed with radiation and chemo. I did great and have not had any reocurrences. I now want to have a breast lift (mastoplexy) and the plastic surgeon I went to said he could not do a breast lift on a radiated breast because it may not heal after the surgery and their could be complications? I had standard radiation done to the breast and I am a very healthy 42 year old white female. I am really bummed out and would like a second opinion.
Leslie, Melbourne, Florida 4/13/04

A Leslie, If the skin of the radiated breast shows no overt radiation effect from your previous treatment, I believe it is possible to perform surgery to lift the breast. The reluctance by your consulting plastic surgeon is quite understandable. Radiation permanently affects the condition of the small vessels in that tissue, even if it overtly appears normal. This affects healing. In performing a mastopexy, significant tension will be placed across the incisions after the excess skin is removed and the wounds are closed in order to lift the breast. Wound healing may be very slow or the incisions could separate resulting in open wounds that take considerable time to heal. You should understand, therefore, that should you undergo this procedure, delayed and prolonged healing and excess scar formation could result as a consequence of your previous radiation. You should consider carefully if you are willing to accept added risks for a better breast shape.
Howard L. Rosenberg

Dr. Bendago
Marilyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Linda - for that info - I don't think it makes me feel any better - but we shall see - I will know more tomorrow - I hope.
Thanks again,
Hugs,
Marilyn
VIC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck,Marilyn...I can not offer any advice but I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hugs.........Vic

Marilyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - it seems the implant is showing - I was shocked to hear that bit of news - but didn't you say yours was through the skin as well Linda -Dr. Rice's main concern is me not getting any infection - so he will be keeping an eye on me every week & if it really turns red - I'm to get to the emergency roon if he is not available.
I feel like I'm in limbo - can't settle down to do anything - just want to get on with it -
thanks for all you good wishes - It is much appreciated.
Will keep you posted,
Marilyn Sad Sad Sad
linda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marilyn, like the article I copied by Dr. Rosenburg, it just sounds like you will take longer in healing then normal, however I really do think it will heal on it's own.........just a feeling.

You can see my implant through my skin where the Z-Plasty was done. There is about a 1/4" (or less) that is sooooooooooo thin. To look at it you would just think it's just a wider white scar. It actually is a part of the scar that just didn't heal properly either - took a little longer - but eventually it healed. Getting the Z-Plasty ended up to be a bad decision on my part. I had it done after the reconstruction and I should have left well enough alone. A Z-Plasty is supposed to elongate a scar but all it did was leave me with more scars and an indentation to boot.

Oh well, it's not perfect, never will be, my doesn't bother my boyfriend, I still look better with the reconstruction then I did before so I have to look on the bright side Very Happy

I know you're really upset, you've been to h*ll and back going through cancer and you're still in a nightmarish situation. But you've got your health, things will work out, try to hang in there and just keep a really good eye on the scar. Know that I'm thinking of you and please keep me posted.

Think Positive Thoughts!!!!!!

Linda

Dr. Bendago
Marilyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all again -
Well my surgery is booked for April 11th - so that's not too far in the distance. I am really worried this time (I wasn''t the last) that it is going to look a bit strange, but I just want this whole procedure over with.
Will be in touch after the surgery - keep your fingers crossed for me & anything else you can think of.
Love to all,
Marilyn Sad Sad Sad
VIC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im keeping my fingers crossed for you, Marylin. Good luck!!!!!!

Everything will be OK!

HUGS

sunset78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishing you the best of luck and hope you'll be done of this soon enough. **hugs**
Correction of bottoming out and nipple relocation - Jan. 17/03
Scar revision - May 12/05
PS: Dr. Leif Sigurdson located in the QEII
linda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - April 11th - that's pretty fast.

Has there been ANY improvement at all over the last couple of weeks????

Please try not to worry too much. I have "one" that's bigger than the other but it's ok.

If I can figure it out, I'm going to try to send you a picture of me in a bathing suit that was just taken. You can see the difference but I'm sure you'll agree - it sure as heck doesn't bother my b/f!

It WILL be over soon - just hang in a little longer and know you have a lot of friends on here thinking of you.

Your friend
Linda

Dr. Bendago
Marilyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda - well I had my pre op yesterday at the hospital - so I guess I'm already to go (you'd better believe it !!)On a new drug (Arimidex) which my body is trying to get use to.
Think I will put my boob in an iron cast - so nothing will disturb the healing process Laughing Laughing
You could always send me the picture through my email address (which you have from me buying the pin)
I will keep you posted.
Thanks for thinking of me -
Marilyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: