Welcome to canadaba.ca's message boards

MemberlistMemberlist  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Breast Reconstruction in Toronto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BernieV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Breast Reconstruction in Toronto Reply with quote

Hi all:

I am new to this site and thrilled to have found it.

I have had right mastectomy and chemotherapy and I am now taking Tamoxifen. My plan is to have the tissue expander and then an implant in the right breast and then a lift of the left breast.

I saw Dr. Sean Rice and I liked him, however, I do not want to travel to North York. It is too far from where I live and where I work.

I saw Dr. Mitchell Brown and I liked him and I have been booked in May 2007. He works out of Women's College Hospital which is an easy commute for me.

I saw a new plastic surgeon, Dr. Brett Beber, and I could have a sooner appointment than May 2007. He was an excellent communicator and teacher. He was quite knowledgeable. My concern is that he has only been in private practice for one year.

I have been told by the surgeons that I should be able to return to work 2 weeks post surgery. Does this sound reasonable to anyone who has had this done?

Is there anyone who has gone through the tissue expander and implant process that can share their experience?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bernie
Marilyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernie - just read your post & I have gone through what you are about to go through. I am still (unfortunately) still having problems as I had 5 weeks of radiation & the skin on the implant side will not heal properly.
Don't want to dicourage you - I am seeing Dr. Sean Rice (who I really like) & he is doing his utmost to try & solve my problem. Just waiting to see what the next step will be. I have already had the expander put in & then an implant (which the skin did not heal) & then they put in a smaller implant (& this one too would not heal) Not sure what is going to happen next (but again I don't want to discourage you from going through all of this.
Wishing you all the best - you have quite a long wait ahead of you,
Fondly
Marilyn
Marilyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Bernie V - don't know if you got my last message - it doesn't seem to be appearing in the place where I want it to go ????
Just let me know if you did get my last message which I sent after your last response.
Hang in there,
Marilyn Question Question Question
linda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bad, bad, girl!

I've been away far too long Embarassed

Bernie V............I too like Dr. Rice, and I liked Dr. Brown. It is so unfortunate that Marilyn is having so many problems (my heart breaks for you girlfriend), but I too unwent 5 weeks of radiation, following chemo and I healed just fine.

When I went to have a Z-Plasty done (that is where they tried to extend the scar) I didn't heal very well. It did heal, but it's not great looking.

Regardless, I'm so glad to have had it done. No regrets here. Don't rush into this. The new doctor with less experience can offer you an earlier date but my suggestion is to make sure you work with a PS that is completely familiar with a radiated breast and reconstruction work!

Keep us up to date, I'll try to be a better follower!
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Marilyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda - good advice for Bernie V -
I have had the latest surgery - last Friday - this is a completely new procedure - implant & expander all in one - so we are just waiting to see how the skin heals with this - the stitches are going up & down - not across my chest - so maybe this time all will be OK.

Keep in touch - have you had anymore Botox done???
Love,
Marilyn Smile Smile Smile
linda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BernieV - any more news????? Are you still going to go with Dr. Brown? He is knowledgable on reconstruction. Do you have to get any work done to the other side?

Marilyn, I hope this surgery works!!!! My other friend who had the same procedure as you by Dr. Rice is healing well - thankfully.

Let me know how you're doing

Linda
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Marilyn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda - well - it did not work - I was in surgery yesterday - having this latest implant & expander removed. My skin just will not heal - so I have to give up the idea of having reconstruciton. My only alternative down the road - a year - is to have a tram flap - which is much invovled surgery & 6 weeks recovery - After going through four surgeries - I am giving up - needless to say - I am very disappointed - angry & upset - but there is nothing I can do about it - so I just have to get on with it & accept what has happened.
Happy that your friend at least is healing -
Keep in touch,
Love,
Marilyn Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: