Welcome to canadaba.ca's message boards

MemberlistMemberlist  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unhappy with Reconstruction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enhancingdesign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Unhappy with Reconstruction Reply with quote

Hi. I had breast reconstruction using expanders a year ago. I am not happy with the outcome. I understand the shape will never be the same as before the mastectomy but I am not happy with the size I was expecting or how they look. Therefore I have a couple of questions:

1. My surgeon keeps telling me they look fine but I am really not happy with them. Can I have it redone? And if so, do i have to go with my original surgeon or can I go elsewhere?

2. If i can redo the surgery, will OHIP pay for a 'do-over'?

3. If I can redo the surgery, can I request a larger implant from the one the surgeon chose to put in me? (ie: almost like breast augmentation on a reconstructed breast?)

4. I hear that implants only last about 10-15 years. Is this true and does OHIP pay to have them replaced?

I really appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there
sorry to hear you are not happy. I dont know much about ohip and reconstruction, have you asked your surgeon or doctor? I dont know if they allow redos for cosmetic reasons, you may have to pay privately especially if you are requesting a larger size. How was the process getting the surgery done in the first place? if it was a doctor referral it may be best to ask them and perhaps they will refer you for a 2nd opinion. The goal of reconstruction would be to reconstruct your breasts and I dont know they treat the finer details of size and shape so please do let us know what you find out.
Implants do not last 10-15 years as rumours suggest, the newer generation especially silicone are thought to last much longer.
enhancingdesign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the surgeon was a referral. Problem was, she never told me my other options. It wasn't until after my surgery did i know there were several other options for reconstruction that come out to be more 'natural' than expanders and implants. Now i feel 'cheated' out of not having been allowed to make a the best decision for me, not for the doctor. I felt rushed due to the situation and trusted the professionals. I am not saying i want bigger for 'cosmetic' reasons but rather because i am not a little smaller than what i used to be and the shape it totally off. I just don't know how to go about fixing it and i don't feel comfortable with my surgeon as she keeps telling me i worry to much and they are just fine.

I guess i just feel frustrated and not sure if there are others with 'unhappy' results as well and what they have done.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely go and talk to your GP or whoever referred you and say how unhappy you are. If the results are not good then they should refer you to another surgeon for a 2nd opinion?
bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from B.C. Did you have a double mastectomy? You said "expanders".,,,,, when was your recon surgery?
The other option you refer to is major surgery and takes a long time to recover. You would have a fairly big scar on your tummy as they use that area to make your new breasts (or sometimes your back, but primarily the tummy muscle and fat). I am so glad I didnt go that route.
I have one implant. I am very small chested so it wasn't a long time with the expander.
Do you have your nipples redone yet? If not, that might be why you are so unhappy. I don't have my nipple yet so my poor little bump does look unnatural.
I can compare the reconstructed to my remaining original and I think my surgeon did a great job as to position and size. But the scar is there and no nipple, so it doesn't look perfect.
I hope you can ask a close friend, husband, sister to be completely honest and give you their opinion. I know it is your body, but if someone you trust tells you it is pretty darn good, I wouldn't put myself through a do-over
I hope by now you have the info about OHIP. I can't help you with that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: