Welcome to canadaba.ca's message boards

MemberlistMemberlist  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Update-Skin Expander

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terri1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Update-Skin Expander Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Time to start a new thread. Some of you wondered how I'm doing (Hi Linda and Marilyn!) Smile I'm actually doing great--back to normal, although my surgeon says I need to wait one more week before I start jogging. That's okay, I don't feel I'm ready yet anyway.

So, this is the scoop as to the skin expander. The first couple of days with my skin expander I needed a lot of drugs to manage the discomfort (I wouldn't call it pain) after that I weaned myself off and by maybe day four I was drug free (no tylenol 3, no motrin, nothing). By day 7 I felt back to normal. On Monday (day Cool I went to see ps. I thought he was going to do a fill but I was mistaken. It turns out they only do three fills total and he said that they usually wait a few weeks to do the fill until it's healed enough. All he did was look me over and asked me how I was feeling (more of a checkup I guess).

So I'll touch base with you guys next week and let you know how it all went.

I can tell you it's pretty nice to have something there again though. He put a little saline in my mastecomy side when he did the surgery and that actually put me back to pretty even on both sides, so now I'm wearing a bra without the need for a prothesis. Very Happy

Anyway, I'll let you know next week how everything went with my first fill.
linda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terri thank you soooooooo much for your update. So they only fill them 3 times? I didn't know that. I had the option of having the same procedure but was too impatient Very Happy I wanted instant boobies Laughing But of course my surgery was less intense than yours.

Glad to hear your off the meds. Isn't it GREAT not having to stuff a sock or whatever in your bra Laughing Cool Laughing No more kicking your boobie under the bed Laughing Laughing

Keep us posted!

Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Marilyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terri1
So happy to hear that you are OK - was getting anxious as what was happening ???
I should be making notes of all of this so as to know what to expect!!
Take care of yourself, Love & a hug,
Marilyn

P.S. Notice - I can almost get the changes in the message!!
P.S. S. Are you going to answer my PM message???
Marilyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Terri - when do they do the other side - is that at the end.
I'm just wondering as I will probably be doing the same procedure as you.
Keep well - Like you I am a fitness nut - I have a pilates machine & I work out every day. I guess when I start all of this - It will put a crink in my fitness rountines.
Take care of yourself,
Love,
Marilyn Smile
terri1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Augmentation Reply with quote

Marilyn--yes, what they do is stretch out the mastecomy side and then, once it's all stretched, then they put implants in both. So at that point it is like any other breast augmentation. Hope that helps! Smile Smile Smile
terri1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Missing Boobie Reply with quote

Hey Linda!

Yes, no more kicking boobies under the bed! Laughing Things are looking up! Very Happy
Marilyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terri - Thanks so much for the reply back - You sound in really good spirits - (that's a good sign!!) Keep it up !!
I'm sorry you didn't get my private message - it was to do with after Cancer drugs that I have to be on for five years.
Never mind - just focus on what you have to content with now.
I wish I was starting all of this - I'm getting very impatient as May seems like a long way in the distance.
Take care - I want this to be a great expericiece for you!!
Love & a hug,Marilyn
P.S. I still haven't got this quite right yet - (I mean changing the font size etc!! Oh well I keep trying)
terri1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marilyn--May will be here before you know it! Hang in there! Just so I'm on top of things, is May your consult or your surgery?
Marilyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't I wish it were my surgery !! No - it's just the consultation.
May 10th to be exact. I just hope he doesn't turn me down.
How are you feeling today - I'm posting this very late -
Take care
Love
Marilyn Smile
terri1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Surgery Reply with quote

I was anxious like you. But I was surprised at how quickly time passed. I just tried to keep busy--but you sound a bit like me, once I decide to do something I just want it DONE! I'm not very patient Smile

I checked my pm again and there was nothing there about medications. If you want to send me a pm again we can chat about it. I'm on tamoxifen and zoladex. I have major hot flashes and my cycles have stopped completely but that part I don't mind so much Wink The tamoxifen I will have to be on for five years total and zoladex for three years. The zoladex is what stopped my cycles--it removes estrogen from your system and throws you in to menopause. I turned 40 this year Sad so it's a bit early but other than the hot flashes I've had no ill effects.

Please don't hesitate in asking me anything like that--I'm feeling just great and am more than happy to help another bc survivor if I can. I enjoy talking to everyone on this forum so much! So if you have any questions re: medications or anything please let me know. HUGS. Terri
Marilyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Terri1
What I was asking is if you were on Tomoxifen - & now I know that you are like me - on that drug for five years. Have you noticed any weight gain around your middle??? - I have spoken to my Oncologist about this & she informs me that this drug will do that to many patients.
So - of course I'm working out like mad - as many of my summer pants are not quite meeting around the waist. Crying or Very sad Aw well - these are some of the things that go with this disease - at least we are all still here!!!
That's the main thing.
Take care & I will be in touch,
Marilyn Smile
terri1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm noticing a weight gain around the middle too! I work out like made also and I'm thin everywhere else. I hate that jelly belly stuff Mad

What can we do? Confused
Marilyn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will send you a pm message as to what I'm going to try & do about the jelly belly Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
linda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ladies,
I too was on Tamoxifin but took myself off it after just two years. I didn't like the side effects. They are considering putting me on Arimidex (sp?) but it can cause a problem with bone density.

I'm still getting hot flashes Evil or Very Mad Chemo will through you into early menopause and some of the "after" drugs just make it worse Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Actually I just realized I'm way overdue for yet another check-up........boy it never ends!

I think I'd better make that phone call to one of my doctors. I have 4 to choose from Laughing, the family doctor, the oncologist, the surgeon, the radiation oncologist, and so on and so on Laughing Laughing

Talk to you soon

Glad to hear your doing so well Terri! Very Happy
Left Breast - 375 Cohesive Round Mentor
Right Breast - 225 Cohesive Round Mentor
BA date: Monday, October 20, 2003

Dr. Bendago
#6 in the silicone photo gallery
Marilyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda - Did they advise you to go off Tamoxifen!! & did you notice any weight gain around your middle.
They wanted to put me on Arimidex - but after a bone density test - they advised against that drug.
Yes - all these doctors etc - what a bother sometimes but like I said to Terri - we are all still here - !! Smile Smile
Take care & keep in touch
Hugs
Marilyn Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Marilyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terri1
Did you get my pm message???
Let me know
Marilyn Confused
Marilyn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Update on fill-ups Reply with quote

Hi Terri - I know you were going to the PS on Monday - & still no word how you made out??
Hope you are OK.
Let us know - as we are all thinking of you.
Love,
Marilyn Confused
terri1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Skin Expander Reply with quote

Hi, it was a breeze actually. I think if you are going Marilyn you should see if ps can space it once every couple of weeks. I think expanding every week is too much! Crying or Very sad Anyway, ps says maybe just one more fill.
Marilyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Skin expander Reply with quote

Happy to hear that this last visit was a breeze!!!!
How many fill-ups will you have had counting the next one.
Just curious -
I only have four more weeks to wait before seeing my PS.
Getting a bit antsy about the whole thing.
Till next time - take care
Marilyn Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
terri1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: fillups Reply with quote

I will have had 5 including the one on Monday. Don't worry you will be fine! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.canadaba.ca Forum Index -> Breast cancer/reconstruction support section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: